They belong to the most popular mystic figures in tales, be it as best companions, as dangerous giants that are hardly tamable or simply as a symbol for strength and magic. And probably after Game of Thrones, we all want (a little one) for ourselves: dragons.
May I introduce Smorok to you. The Crochet Dragon has about the size of your palm and can be crocheted in next to no time! The premium pattern is now available in my online shop!
The Crochet Dragon reaches a total height of about 9 cm (made with super fine yarn). At a width of appr. 12 cm Smorok can stand on its own, independently of the surface. Not only does his high contrast facial features make him look dangerous. You can also crochet Smorok with or without attachable eyes. But the distinctiveness of Smorok is something else: the shape of the head (nose, eyebrows, ears) is formed with the help of simple sewing techniques. Nevertheless, the Crochet Dragon is suitable for beginners and can be crocheted within a few hours.
You can get the pattern for Smorok, the Crochet Dragon, in my online shop on Etsy (as a PDF download in German and English):
What do you need:
- Super fine yarn (at a recommended hook size of 2.5-3.5 mm). I used Woll Butt Camilla by Buttinette for the dark-grey dragon (gauge: 10 x 10 cm = 26 sts, 36 rows)
- 3 different yarn colours as markers for the eyebrows, ears and nose (e.g. beige, green and pink)
- I worked with a hook of size 2.50 mm
- Small scissors
- Darning needle
- Optional: security eyes (to insert) or embroidered eyes (to sew)
Stitch types used in the pattern:
- Single crochet
- Double crochet
- Half-double crochet
- Treble crochet
Additionally, I used the following sewing techniques to create the facial features (eyebrows, ears and nose) as well as the wings’ thicker sides:
- Sewing in basting stitches
- Sewing in overcast stitches